Friday 17 April 2015

'You're Deluded or I'm Confused...' by Stephen Oram

Yesterday afternoon was one of those sparkly afternoons and someone told me that the Heath was a pleasant place to get away from it all. There was a sprinkling of water on the grass and a fresh wind cutting across the lakes. It felt good. I was walking along by the side of a wood admiring the lumps and bumps of the ancient trees. The rich smell of the soil and the moss hung in the air. I turned the corner and there were six couples walking along the paths that criss-crossed the green space in front of me.
I sat and watched.
Each couple was made up of one upper-class being and one middle-class being and it was the middle-class beings, the so-called pets, that were running around, leading the way. Every now and again their companion would re-assert control by calling them back with morsels of food. And then I noticed something that blew my mind.
The middle-class beings were shitting wherever they wanted and their upper-class followers were scurrying around to pick it up as quickly as they could, congratulating them by saying, ‘Good boy!’
I thought your class structure was pathetic and you were deluded, but now I’m not so sure.
Did I stumble across a weird fetish group on the Heath – an aberration – or is your universe more complicated than it first appears?




previously published at http://stephenoram.net/blog/2014/03/06/youre-deluded-or-im-confused/



FlashFlood is brought to you by National Flash-Fiction Day UK, happening this year on 27th June 2015.
In the build up to the day we have now launched our Micro-Fiction Competition (stories up to 100 words) and also our annual Anthology (stories up to 500 words).  So if you have enjoyed FlashFlood, why not send us your stories?
More information about these and the Day itself available at nationalflashfictionday.co.uk.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! You're making a good point there, I reckon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it... always strikes me as funny when I'm walking on the heath

      Delete
  2. That's so funny - we were just talking to the kids about this. About how folks in Asia must think Brits are insane to have dogs as pets instead of treating them as animals & a source of food - & weirder still, be cleaning up their muck! Which is so subservient...then having to explain what subservient meant!!
    More please! Nx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent... hopefully they'll grow up to see the world a little sideways too

      Delete
    2. it sounds as if your kids will grow up to have a healthy sideways view of the world, but maybe no pets?... If you want some more then take a look at the flash fiction on my website.

      Delete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...